Because there is always someone more fucked up than you are......

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Fuck The Family Bed You Pedophiles... Bring Back The Family Bar...

I often wonder what the fuck happened to the good old days? Do families actually have fun together like we did back in the 70's? It seems as if everyone today is so busy trying to do everything right, most are instead fucking it up.

Some of my earliest and fondest childhood memories were spending time with my grandparents. My grandma Betty and grandpa George were coming off the swinger era around the time I began to walk. Being the future homo I was, I thought my grandma Betty's wigs were beyond cool. She would let me wear them around her house pretending I was Diana Ross. Even at age five I was drawn to addicts.

My grandparents belonged to a club called The Moose Lodge. There might be a few of these places left however I am sure they are nothing as they were during the 70's. Saturday nights were the big night out for Moose Lodge members. My grandparents would get all sharply dressed much like people do these days to go to the Detroit Symphony. In the 70's, parents were not as self consumed as parents of this generation. Sitters were rarely used and families actually spent time together. My grandparents loved taking me and my brother to the Moose Lodge on a Saturday night. It was almost a runway show event for grandparents to show off their grandchildren to fellow members.

While the adults gathered at the bar drinking, there were games all over the lodge to entertain the kids. Best of all, you didn't have to keep running and asking for quarters because all the games were free. There was air hockey, pinball, and they even had bows and arrows for kid archery. We would end up eating so much junk food with soda pop most of the kids fell asleep on the couches throughout the lodge. I remember the bartender letting us take turns pouring beers behind the bar and the adults would give us tips. At the end of the night, grandma and grandpa would find us on a couch somewhere in the lodge and carry us out to the car. That was quality family time we really don't see in our society any longer.

A few years back I was at my usual afternoon hang out having a few beers. An older gentleman came in with a baby carrier on his arm. He took up near me at the bar placing the baby carrier on the bar. The guy was so proud to show off his granddaughter he even bought me a beer. Our conversation continued over several more beers. He even let me hold his granddaughter and feed her a bottle. At a point he had run out of smokes. He asked if I would watch the baby while he ran up to the party store to grab a pack. I love kids so of course I obliged.

As soon as the guy walked out the door, I had a stream of people coming up to me all freaked out. Most were woman acting all appalled that someone would bring a baby in a bar. Would they have rather the man left the baby in the car with the windows rolled up on a 90 degree day? What the fuck is wrong with people? The kid was in no danger. The man obviously had good judgment. He could tell I was a safe person to leave his granddaughter with while he ran to get smokes. One dumb ass bitch said she was calling the police. Naturally, in a kind manner, I told her to go fuck herself.

When we see kids shooting each other at school, I don't think we need to search far for the blame. Society has forced parents to leave their kids home with strangers. Why not bring back places like the Moose Lodge where families can spend time together as families? Just because a child is in an atmosphere where there is alcohol does not mean they become alcoholics and end up in recovery. Shit, they can even learn something. I could tap a keg by age eight.

Peoples values and morals are just fucked up these days.

1 comment:

  1. You know, Greg, I'm liking your blog far more than I thought I would.

    ReplyDelete